According to the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 2004 of Bangladesh, birth of any Bangladesh national has to be registered with a designated birth registrar (Bangladesh Consulates/Embassies/ High Commissions abroad if born overseas) within 45 (forty-five) days of the birth of the child.
Booking an Appointment
- Appointment is required to submit ‘Birth Registration’ application in person.
- Book appointment from the link: https://services.cgbdsydney.gov.bd/
- The consulate does not provide appointment over phone or email.
- For a faster service, we encourage you to receive this service by post. Receiving the service by post is hassle free, faster, cost effective and time saving. Please read the ‘Requirements’ section for further details.
- For postal service, please complete “Mail-in Registration” from the link: http://services.cgbdsydney.gov.bd/)
STEP 1: Lodge Application Online
- Read all information of the webpage carefully before you apply
- Lodge birth registration application ONLINE from the link: https://bdris.gov.bd/br/application.
- Complete the registration, PRINT the application summary, SIGN (clause 6.1 & 6.2) and enclose the following documents listed on ‘Step 2’:
STEP 2: Prepare Documents
A. For Adult Bangladesh Nationals:
- Duly completed cover letter (please download here);
- Signed copy of the online application summary;
- One recent passport size colour photo of the applicant [not older than six months];
- Applicant’s original Bangladesh passport & photocopy of the biometric information page of the passport. If you hold handwritten Bangladeshi passport, copy first 5 pages.
- SSC/HSC Certificate & photocopy [if completed in Bangladesh];
- Proof of Parents’ name. Provide, parents’ Bangladeshi Passport/Birth Certificate/NID; In absence of original, photocopies attested by JP are accepted;
- Proof of permanent address, if different than Passport; Provide copy of property purchase/land document/ porcha/ land tax/ holding tax certificate etc.
- Printed payment receipt (if paid via EFT). Fees can be paid by debit/credit card at the Consulate.
- Include photocopy of all supporting documents listed above from 4-6;
- If you submit the application by post, complete ‘Mail in Service’ registration here and attach the printed copy of the registration to the application. Include a pre-paid express return envelope (trackable) mentioning your name & mailing address.
B. For a child born overseas (to a Bangladeshi National):
- Duly completed cover letter (please download here)
- Signed copy of the online application summary;
- One recent passport-size colour photo [not older than 6 months];
- Child’s overseas birth certificate [original] & photocopy. Translated copy required if certificate is issued in other than English. Attestation from the respective embassy of the issuing country and DFAT, Australia is required. True copy of the Australian birth certificate attested by a JP is accepted;
- Original and a photocopy of parents’ Bangladesh passport/NID/Birth Certificate;
- Proof of permanent address, if different than parents’ passport/ digital birth certificate; Provide copy of property purchase/land document/ porcha/ land tax/ holding tax certificate etc.
- Printed payment receipt if paid via EFT. Fees can be paid by debit/credit card at the Consulate.
- If you send the application by post, complete postal registration here and attach the printed copy of the registration to the application. Also, include a pre-paid express return envelope (trackable) mentioning your name & mailing address.
Exceptional or Special Circumstance:
- Please contact the Consulate General if either of the parents are a foreign-born national.
- For any change in the present passport from the previous one including change of name/dob etc., original document clearly mentioning the changes must be attested by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Australia and submitted along with application;
- Documents originating in Bangladesh (eg. marriage certificate, name change certificate etc.) must be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangladesh following necessary requirements.
- Documents originating in Australia (name change certificate, marriage certificate etc.) must be first attested/authenticated by DFAT, Australia (NSW/Queensland) before its submission to the Consulate. Please check with DFAT for their specific procedures for authentication/ attestation of the documents.
*Special Note (Please read carefully]:
- The Consulate General of Bangladesh reserves the right to seek any additional document at any stage of the application process.
- Incomplete application form or application with incorrect information or insufficient supporting papers may be rejected without citing any reason thereof. The Fee is non-refundable even if the service is rejected.
- The Consulate General of Bangladesh reserves the right to withhold/cancel/reject any application without ascertaining any reason.
- Applicant may be called for an interview if it is felt necessary by the visa issuing officer.
IMPORTANT: Birth registration will be processed only after receiving all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be processed and the documents will be returned to the senders via return mail.
Please read the following information carefully before making the payment:
- Consular fees are applicable for the processing of applications. Hence, fees are non-refundable even if an application is denied or withdrawn.
- Bangladesh High Commission in Canberra and Bangladesh Consulate General in Sydney are two separate entities. Service cannot be rendered by the Consulate against a payment made to the High Commission of Bangladesh in Canberra.
- Fees are subject to change without prior notice.
- The payment of consular fees through EFT shall be made at least 03 working days before submitting the application.
- A copy of the payment transaction receipt shall be attached with the application form.
- Cash/Personal Cheque/Direct Deposit is not accepted.
- Debit Card/Credit card payment is available at the consular counter. In such case, transaction surcharge of the respective card provider will be charged in addition to the consular fees.
Fees: AUD 2.00 (Two Dollar)
Mode of Payment
Cash/personal cheque/Direct Deposit is NOT accepted.
The fees may be paid in one of the following ways:
- Credit Card/EFTPOS payment at the Consulate’s service counter. [In such case, transaction surcharge of the respective card provider will be charged in addition to the consular fees]; OR
- Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) to the Consulate General’s Bank Account;
Bank Account details for EFT:
Account Name: Consulate General of Bangladesh
BSB: 062 000
Account No: 1927 4083
Bank Name: Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Please include a copy of the payment transaction receipt with the application form after payment of fee.
The applications along with other necessary documents may be sent to the following address by registered mail/courier, or may be submitted in person:
Consulate General of Bangladesh in Sydney
Suite 2, Level 1
189 Kent Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
The application may be submitted in person with pre-booked appointment on week days (excepting public holidays) during the consular service hours.
N.B.: The Consulate General of Bangladesh is not responsible for documents lost or delayed in mail / Courier. It is the responsibility of the applicant to track his/her application and check with the respective courier service for delivery updates. Any email related to the delivery of parcel is not replied.
The delivery of the documents may be obtained in the following ways:
- By the applicant in person; or,
- By authorized representative. In this case, a letter of authorization from the applicant as well as proof of identity of the authorized person (photo IDs such as driving license, passport etc.) shall be required in addition to the delivery slip; or,
- By postal mail. In this case, self-addressed pre-paid Express envelope/Courier (signature on delivery) shall be sent to the Consulate while sending/submitting the application.
Requirement for Sending Application by Post:
- Postal Service Registration: If you wish to send your application by post, complete the MAIL-IN SERVICE registration from the link below (http://services.cgbdsydney.gov.bd/).
- Required Documents: All required documents including payment receipt
- Envelope: A pre-paid registered return envelope (signature on delivery). Write your name and detail address on the recipient part and send along with the other documents.
All ORIGINAL documents must be accompanied by the photocopies of the same. The original documents are returned to the applicant. Photocopies without original are accepted if certified by a Justice of Peace (JP).
** The Consulate General disclaims any responsibility for the loss of documents while they are in transit via postal service.